Visit St. Luke's Church from Abbottabad

The work on the construction of St Luke's commenced in 1854-55, with initial delays due to slow fund-raising and then a brief interruption due to the Indian War of Independence (or Indian Mutiny) and it was completed and then consecrated by the Bishop of Calcutta in 1864. Its jurisdiction covered most of the Hazara region including Abbottabad itself, Haripur, Mansehra and the Galyat hill tracts. The Old Christian Cemetery, Abbottabad, was also attached to it. Before the foundation of this church, the local Christian community did not have recourse to a regular vicar or chaplain and these services were provided occasionally by chaplains attached to various military regiments in the cantonment or by officials deputed from time to time from Peshawar or Rawalpindi. From late November 1864, however, the Rev. P.Kellner was regular Vicar and Chaplain, until April 1866.

Thereafter, some other notable Vicars/Chaplains here included the Rev. Henry Fisher Corbyn, the Rev. James G.S. Syme and the Rev.T.Bomford.From June 1947 to April 1948, as a result of the independence of Pakistan disturbances, St Luke's was shut down. Regular services only resumed when the Rev. Daniel Rashid, at Peshawar, was given additional visiting charge of Abbottabad and Hazara. He was later replaced by the Rev. JH Hewitt in 1951 and then by a local curate, ZK Daniels, who was raised to the Chaplaincy in 1965. In 1970, the Church of Pakistan was established via a union of Anglicans, Scottish Presbyterians (Church of Scotland), United Methodists and Lutherans and, thereafter, St Luke's was formally placed under its new Peshawar Diocese. Since then, full-time clerics have been appointed here regularly to minister to the local congregation.

Located at: St. Luke's Church, Abbottabad, Pakistan
St. Luke's Church Detail Picture 1
St. Luke's Church Detail Picture 2